Wednesday, October 04, 2006

I'll have the Pelagic Krabby Patties, please

It's reassuring to see that Sen. Olympia Snowe (R-Maine) is standing up for her constituents by demanding that the Food and Drug Administration forbid purveyors of South American langostinos from calling them "langostino lobsters." (See article here.) I'm just not so sure about that claim that langostino sales are costing Maine lobster fishermen $44 million per year. I mean, had I known that Long John Silver's "Buttered Lobster Bites" were made of Chilean mudbugs and not authentic Maine lobster, I would have stormed right out of there. Sure, the $3.99 price tag on the "Buttered Lobster Bites" might have tipped me off, since a bag of fried lobster meat somewhere else costs $25 -- plus, I'd have to sucker-punch the chef first, since he'd otherwise come at me with a fileting knife for wanting to deep-fry real lobster.

But $44 million? Would all those other langostino purchasers otherwise have gone out and bought a real Maine lobster?

No comments: